Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” Preserved in National Recording Registry for Its Cultural Significance
The National Recording Registry at the Library of Congress has announced 25 recordings selected for preservation, and Pink Floyd’s legendary The Dark Side of the Moon, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this weekend, is among the additions.
Given the tumultuous year 2013 has been for Justin Bieber thus far (or so he says), perhaps the 19-year-old could learn something from Janis Joplin’s tragic demise at such a young age.
Sadly, the history of rock is littered with tales of immense talent being snuffed by addiction to lethal narcotics. Here is our breakdown of 10 of the worst-case scenarios when rock stars got mixed up with hard drugs and lost.
Her presence is almost as powerful as her singing voice, and her look is iconic. Janis Joplin is always a great choice for a Halloween costume, but you need to bring the right look – and most importantly, the swagger!
The memoir, due out in February, will tackle the record business legend’s early beginnings, going from an orphaned teen to a Harvard Law School graduate and eventually becoming the hit maker we know now.
In what would be her final public live performance, Janis Joplin packed Cambridge’s Harvard Stadium to the brim and beyond in 1970 for a show that goes down as one of Boston’s most famous live music moments.
From pop star Pink to indie dream girl Zooey Deschanel, big name actresses have been attached to the lead role in Janis Joplin’s biopic. But it will be recent Tony Award-winning actress Nina Arianda that will play the title role in Joplin.
Jane’s Addiction is due to receive its star in 2013, alongside powerhouse ’60s vocalist Janis Joplin, Usher and the Backstreet Boys.
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce announced on Friday which stars will receive a plaque on the Walk Of Fame in 2013, and among the recipients is folk legend Janis Joplin.
Today in 1969, Rolling Stone hit newsstands with Janis Joplin on the cover. It would be one of the last times the legendary singer would appear on the cover while she was still alive.
Boston’s Classic Rock
- R.I.P. Ray Manzarek Karlson & McKenzie "Ruin... Maxim Hot 100 Party Rolling Stones + Katy Perry
- Willie Nelson at Berklee... Drive for Charity 2013... 2013 Rock Hall Induction Bruins Fans Stand United
- Eric Clapton's Crossroads... Ronnie Wood Art Exhibition Mick Jagger's Hot Daughter Gibson's New Robot Tuner
- Your 2013 Boston Red Sox The "Gooeyville Slugger"... Steven Tyler Turns 65! Pink Floyd Album Covers
WZLX Most Clicked
- Ritchie Blackmore took guitar smashing to delirious new levels...A compilation of his utter destruction: ow.ly/lkS2M 31 minutes ago
- WATCH: Mick Taylor reunites with the @RollingStones on stage! ow.ly/lkLlF 1 hour ago
- The Classic Rock Classic has been been rescheduled to Tuesday (May 28th) due to tomorrow's inclement weather! ow.ly/lkHoK 2 hours ago
- Pete Townshend once told Carter Alan on 'Tommy': "Now I have 'F*** off' money!" The Who's rock opera turns 44 today: ow.ly/lkl6c 2 hours ago
- #Bruins talk with @MattyGWBZ: One Win Away, Bruins Not Looking At Past ow.ly/lkkiq 3 hours ago