In 1987 Boston played Night #2 in the band’s historic nine-night run at the Centrum in Worcester. What Boston band opened the show?
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 14th, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- Celebrating a birthday today is David Crosby!
- 1965: The Beatles, in the U.S. for a tour of North America, taped a return appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show which was broadcast on Sept. 12th.
- 1970: Steven Stills was arrested in a La Jolla, California motel room for possession of cocaine and barbiturates. Police found Stills crawling in the hallway.
- 1981: The Rolling Stones began rehearsals at Longview Farm in Brookfield, MA for their upcoming tour.
- 1995: Members of the Grateful Dead met and decided to cancel their already-scheduled fall tour of the U.S. in the wake of Jerry Garcia’s death.
- 2003: A blackout hitting the northeastern United States forced numerous artists, including Aerosmith, Kiss and Bob Dylan to cancel shows.
- 2003: Scott Weiland of Stone Temple pilots was sentenced to three years probation on this day following his arrest that May for drug possession.
Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1972: Savoy Brown played the Sunset Series on Boston Common with Fleetwood Mac opening up.
- 1983: Cheap Trick, Blackfoot and the Joe Perry Project headlined Summer Jam at New England Dragway in Epping, NH.
- 1987: Boston played night #2 in their historic nine-night sellout at the Worcester Centrum.
- 1998: Pete Townshend played a solo show at Harbourlights.