Jerry Garcia passed away on this day in 1995. When the Dead returned to the site of the group’s last concert for their 50th Anniversary, who was tasked with replacing the irreplaceable Garcia?
ANSWER: Trey Anastasio of Phish
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 9th, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1969: Actress Sharon Tate and four others were victims in a bizarre night of murder. Charles Manson was ultimately charged and found guilty of planning the crimes, although he claimed the Beatles told him to do it through “secret messages” in lyrics on The White album.
- 1986: Queen ended its European tour with a show in the U.K. At the massive Knebworth festival in front of 120,000 fans. This would be Queen’s last live performance with Freddie Mercury at the helm .
- 1995: Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead died in Forest Knolls, California.
Checking out the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1971: Chicago played the Garden. That same night Edgar Winter and White Trash was on the Boston Common.
- 1975: It was Bonnie Raitt at the Lenox Music Inn.
- 1993: Pete Townshend presented his album Pyscho-Derelict at Great Woods. All didn’t go well though, after a breakdown of his expensive audio/visual equipment, an angry Townshend disappeared offstage for a few moments to give his technicians an earful.
- 1997: The H.O.R.D.E. tour featuring Neil Young played the 2nd of two nights at Great Woods.