Happy birthday to The Edge! The guitarist of U2 was the first member of the band to release a solo project (a soundtrack). What was the movie?
ANSWER: “Captive” in 1986
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 8th, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1969: At 10am traffic was stopped on the street out in front of Abbey Road Studios so a photographer could snap the picture of the four Beatles which appears on the front of the Abbey Road album.
- 1970: Janis Joplin bought a headstone for the grave of Blues great Bessie Smith who died and was buried in Philadelphia in 1937.
- 1970: Christine McVie performed for the first time as an official member of Fleetwood Mac at a show in New Orleans.
- 1974: Eric Clapton’s 461 Ocean Boulevard album went gold.
- 1987: The U2 single “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” reached #1 in the States.
- 1992: A riot broke out during a Guns N’ Roses and Metallica show at Montreal Stadium, when Metallica’s set was cut short after James Hetfield was injured by pyrotechnics. Then, later the Guns N’ Roses set was also cut short because Axl Rose complained his throat hurt. The crowd overturned cars, smashed windows, set fires, and looted stores.
Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1976: Peter Frampton played the Cape Cod Coliseum.
- 1990: It was Santana and Steel Pulse at Great Woods.
- 1997: Neil Young led the H.O.R.D.E. tour into Great Woods for the first of two nights.