In 1999 John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin performed solo for the first time, in Galway, Ireland. When was the final time he had played onstage with John Bonham and Led Zeppelin?
ANSWER: July 7, 1980 in Berlin
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for October 2, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- Happy birthday to Mike Rutherford of Genesis and Gordon Sumner aka Sting of The Police.
- On this day in 1967, police raided a house on Ashbury Street in San Francisco, and found marijuana. Consequently, all the members of the Grateful Dead were taken into custody and charged with possession.
- In ’76, Joe Cocker and John Belushi sang “Feelin All Right”, on Saturday Night Live. Belushi did his best Joe Cocker imitation during the performance.
- In ’85, Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the U.S.A” Tour ended at the L.A. Coliseum. Two years later Bruce released his “Tunnel of Love” album.
- In ’86, Bob Seger played the Boston Garden.
- In 1994, John Mellencamp announced he had suffered a mild heart attack – possibly brought on by his 4-pack a day smoking habit, what do you think?
- And in 2002, the Grateful Dead received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Jammy Awards. The Jammys honored the best in improvised music. Bob Weir and Blue Oyester Cult performed at the ceremony.
- Also in ’02, Alice Cooper opened his haunted house Halloween attraction in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Checking out the WZLX ticket stash Mountain played Brandeis University in 1971
- And in 1986, Bob Seger was at the Boston Garden.