Eric Clapton played the Boston Garden on this night in 1974 on his comeback tour after three years of inactivity. He had a female singer in his band named Yvonne Elliman, who had become famous who had become famous in a film and stage show – which one?
ANSWER: “Jesus Christ Superstar”
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for September 30, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1955: Speaking of car crashes, today marked the death of a guy who was too fast to live and too young to die: James Dean.
- 1961: Bob Dylan had the recording experience that began his career. The session took place when he played harmonica on Caroline Hester’s debut album for Columbia Records. Dylan’s playing captured the attention of record executive John Hammond, who signed Dylan the next day.
- 1969: Crosby, Stills & Nash earned a gold album for their first album. Tragically, on that same day, David Crosby’s girlfriend Christine Hinton was killed in a car crash.
- 1987: Roy Orbison was backed by many music notables including Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Browne, and Bonnie Raitt at the Ambassador Hotel’s Coconut Grove in Los Angeles. Billed as the “Black and White Night,” the performance was filmed for a Cinemax TV special and home video.
- 1993: An animated George Harrison and David Crosby made guest appearances on the 5th season premiere of “The Simpsons.”
Checking out the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1974: Eric Clapton was at the Garden on his “461 Ocean Blvd” tour.
- 1977: Derringer Played the Paradise Theater.
- 1978: Billy Joel brought his piano to the Garden.
- 1993: The Grateful Dead played yet another night at the Boston Garden.