In 2009 Ozzy Osbourne passed his driver’s test after failing many times. When was his first attempt?
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for September 24, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1977: Styx released “Come Sail Away” as a single. The song had a very slow rise in popularity: it took nearly four months for it to reach the charts. It finally peaked at #8 in January 1978.
- 1989: Saturday Night Live’s 15th anniversary show closed with a guest appearance by Paul Simon.
- 1994: Eric Clapton performed on Saturday Night Live’s season premier.
Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1970: The James Gang played the Boston Tea Party for the first of three nights. Humble Pie opened.
- 1988: Rod Stewart was at the Boston Garden.
- 1991: The Grateful Dead were in the Garden as well. They would appear there again on the same day two years later.