Happy birthday to U.K. drummer Kenny Jones, who played in what three hit-making bands?
ANSWER: The Small Faces, The Faces, and The Who
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for September 16, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- Happy birthday to Kenny Jones, legendary British drummer who has played with the Faces and the Who among others!
- 1966: The Grateful Dead performed the 1st of two nights at the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco. It was the first time they used the now-famous skull, skeleton & roses logo.
- 1970: Jimi Hendrix made his last public appearance when he joined Eric Burdon & War onstage at their London concert.
- 1972: Peter Frampton’s Camel made its live debut in New York City as the opening act for the J. Geils Band.
- 1977: T. Rex lead singer Marc Bolan was killed in a car accident near London.
- 1978: The Grateful Dead performed under a lunar eclipse at the Great Pyramid in Egypt. It was the last of three shows at the unusual location.
In the WZLX ticket stash…
1995: David Bowie performed at Great Woods.