In 1994 Jimmy Page & Robert Plant reunited in the studio to record their album “Unledded” in front of an MTV audience. Surviving Led Zeppelin member john Paul Jones found out about it after the fact. Why wasn’t he invited by the other two?
ANSWER: Because Plant & Page didn’t want people to think they were reuniting Led Zeppelin.
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 25, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1970: Jimi Hendrix celebrated the official opening of his New York City recording studio Electric Ladyland, although he had first recorded there in July.
- 1970: Elton John made his us debut performance at the Troubador in Los Angeles.
- 1973: Allman Brothers band drummer Butch Trucks broke his leg in an auto accident in Macon, Georgia mere yards from the spot where Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident two years before.
- 1994: Jimmy Buffett’s seaplane flipped during takeoff at Nantucket and he swan to safety.
- 1994: Across the pond, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant reunited in a London studio to record their MTV Unplugged show. The show was called Unledded.
Checking out the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1968: Jimi Hendrix was at the Carousel in Framingham.
- 1973: Elton John played the Garden.
- 1975: Jefferson Starship was at the Providence Civic Center.
- 1979: The Allman Brothers played the Music Inn in Lenox, MA.