In 1989 a performance of “Tommy” by the Who with special guests Elton John, Billy Idol, Phil Collins and more at Universal Amphitheater in L.A. was filmed and broadcast 3 weeks later. There are extensive instrumental sections in “Tommy,” what are the first words you hear on the album?
ANSWER: “Capt. Walker didn’t come home; his unborn child will never know him.”
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 24, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1967: The Maharishi Mahesh Yogi spoke at London’s Hilton hotel for a public audience that included the Beatles.
- 1979: The Cars played New York’s Central Park and set a record for drawing the largest crowd there, nearly a half million people. That mark would be broken a year later by Elton John.
- 1989: An all star performance of Tommy was filmed at Universal Amphitheatre in Los Angeles which included Elton John, Steve Winwood, Phil Collins and Billy Idol. The performance was broadcast three weeks later.
- 2008: Jimmy Page was among the performers at the closing ceremonies for the Summer Olympics in Beijing.
In the WZLX stash…
- 1979: The Allman Brothers played the Boston Garden.