The “Foreigner 4” album hit #1 on this day in 1981 largely based on their hit single “Urgent.” That song featured a smokin’ sax solo by what soul music stare?
ANSWER: Jr. Walker
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 22, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1968: One day short of their 6th anniversary, Cynthia Lennon filed for divorce from John Lennon
- 1969: The Beatles were together in one room for the last time. They gathered together at John Lennon’s home outside London for a photo shoot for the cover of the Hey Jude album.
- 1970: Neil Young released his third album After the Gold Rush.
- 1981: The Foreigner 4 album hit #1 in the States.
- 1987: Bruce Springsteen joined Levon Helm of the Band onstage at Helm’s gig in Asbury Park at the Stone Pony.
- 1992: The members of the Police were united onstage for the first time in 6 years at Sting’s wedding reception.
- 1998: Mark David Chapman, serving a sentence for the murder of John Lennon, stated that he did not want any of the money that would be made from the sale of the Double Fantasy album Lennon autographed for him only hours before he shot and killed the star in December 1980.
Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1974: The Eagles were on the lawn at Lenox.
- 1987: Roger Waters of Pink Floyd brought Radio Kaos to Great Woods.