Happy birthday to Robert Plant. Although he had #1 albums in America with Led Zeppelin, he has never had a solo album get to the top. One release, though, did get to #2 – which one?
ANSWER: 2011’s “Raising Sand,” recorded with Alison Krauss
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 21, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- It’s the birthdate of the late Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy and also one of rock’s greatest vocalists Robert Plant!
- 1968: Cynthia Lennon sued John Lennon for divorce on the grounds of adultery. She found out that Yoko Ono had been living in her home when Cynthia was on vacation.
- 1973: The Stones released “Angie” as a single.
- 1981: Bruce Springsteen played a special concert to benefit Vietnam War veterans at the Los Angeles Sports Arena.
- 1990: Jimmy Page jammed with Aerosmith at London’s Marquee Club, ending with “Immigrant Song”.
- 1996: Carlos Santana received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
In the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1977: The Outlaws played Cape Cod Coliseum.
- 1992: U2 began the first of three nights at Foxboro Stadium while on it’s Zoo TV tour.