The Beatles played Suffolk Downs on this day in 1966, one of the legendary band’s two Boston appearances during Beatlemania. Ringo sang one song during the set – which one?
ANSWER: “I Wanna Be Your Man”
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 18th, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1977: The Police played Rebecca’s in Birmingham, England, the group’s first gig.
- 1982: The city of Liverpool had a Beatles celebration to honor their favorite sons. The hometown honored the bandmembers by renaming four city streets after them: Paul McCartney Way, John Lennon Road, Ringo Starr Drive & George Harrison Circle.
- 1989: Aerosmith’s “Love In An Elevator” was released and one year later the band headlined the “Monsters of Rock” Festival at Castle Donington in England. Jimmy Page jumped onstage and jammed with Aerosmith on “Train Kept A Rollin’.”
- 1997: The Rolling Stones announced their “Bridges to Babylon” tour in grand style. the band rode up to a press conference at the Brooklyn Bridge in a red ’55 Cadillac with Mick Jagger at the wheel!
Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1966: Boston was the center of the Rock and Roll world when the Beatles invaded Suffolk Downs.
- 1970: Santana played Tanglewood.
- 1972: The J. Geils Band was at the Aquarius Theater.
- 1974: Aerosmith rocked the Westboro Speedway.
- 1987: Boston was at the Centrum.