Jerry Garcia died on this day in 1995. How old was he when he passed?
ANSWER: Only 53
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 9th, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1963: The British television program Ready, Steady, Go was first broadcast. The show gave early breaks to Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, the Who and many others.
- 1969: Actress Sharon Tate and four others were victims in a bizarre night of murder. Charles Manson was ultimately charged and found guilty of planning the crimes, although he claimed the Beatles told him to do it through “secret messages” in lyrics on The White album.
- 1995: Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead died in Forest Knolls, California.
Checking out the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1971: Chicago played the Garden. That same night Edgar Winter and White Trash was on the Boston Common.
- 1975: It was Bonnie Raitt at the Lenox Music Inn.
- 1993: Pete Townshend presented his album Pyscho-Derelict at Great Woods. All didn’t go well though, after a breakdown of his expensive audio/visual equipment, an angry Townshend disappeared offstage for a few moments to give his technicians an earful.
- 1997: The H.O.R.D.E. tour featuring Neil Young played the 2nd of two nights at Great Woods.