Motley Crue rocked the Manning Bowl on this day in 1985. 12 days later they returned to New England and played what venue?
ANSWER: The Centrum in Worcester
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for August 3rd, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1968: The Doors got to #1 with the single “Hello I Love You.”
- 1971: Paul McCartney announced the formation of his new band Wings which included wife Linda and Denny Laine, an original member of The Moody Blues.
- 1974: Guitar player Jeff Baxter quit Steely Dan and proceeded to join The Doobie Brothers.
- 1986: Mandy Smith, a 16-year old model told British paper News of the World that she had been involved with Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman (a much older gentleman) for two and a half years. They married when she turned 19, but divorced 17 months later.
- 2002: Bob Dylan made his first appearance at the Newport Folk Festival since his legendary 1965 performance during which folk purists boo’ed him for playing an electric set.
- 2004: A proposed reunion tour by Traffic was scrubbed because drummer Jim Capaldi was ill. While at the time he said he was suffering from a stomach ailment, he actually had cancer and died in January 2005.
In the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1973: Cheech and Chong did stand-up comedy at the Cape Cod Coliseum.
- 1982: Elton John played the Garden.
- 1985: Motley Crue rocked Lynn at the Manning Bowl.