Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers played the Paradise Theater on this night in 1978. By that time, they had charted a couple of singles in England which ignited interested in their native U.S. What was the first Top 40 hit in the U.K?
ANSWER: “Anything That’s Rock and Roll” which got to #37. “Breakdown” came before that, but did not chart.
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for July 16th, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1966: Cream was formed by Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, and Eric Clapton . They had their live debut on July 31st of that year at the Windsor Jazz and Blues festival.
- 1981: Harry Chapin died in an auto accident in Jericho, NY. His VW rabbit was rear-ended by a tractor trailer and he had a massive heart attack.
- 1984: Pink Floyd and Eric Clapton launched a joint tour with a show in Stockholm.
- 1996: Styx co-founder and drummer John Panozzo died from gastrointestinal hemorrhage at his home in Chicago. He was 47.
- 2008: R.E.O. Speedwagon was the headliner for “Ridin’ the Storm Out – Floods of 2008 Relief Concert,” a benefit for those in the Midwest battling floods. The show, which took place in Polk County, Iowa, brought in 275-thousand-dollars, while additional money was raised via donations.
In the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1971: Creedence Clearwater Revival was at the Garden.
- 1974: Edgar Winter played the Cape Cod Coliseum.
- 1976: Jefferson Starship flew into the Garden.
- 1977: Blue Oyster Cult played the Cape Cod Coliseum.
- 1978: The marquee above the Paradise read Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.