In ’95, Jerry Garcia played his final concert with the Grateful Dead at Soldier’s Field in Chicago. What was the final song he played in that show?
ANSWER: “Box of Rain”
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for July 9th, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- 1969: Rolling Stone Brian Jones was laid to rest six days after being found dead in his swimming pool.
- 1971: Jim Morrison was also buried, in the Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris.
- 1972: Paul McCartney opened his first scheduled tour with Wings at Chateauvillon, a village in the south of France. Some 2,000 fans witnessed McCartney’s first scheduled stage appearance since the Beatles played Candlestick Park in 1966. Earlier that year, the Wings had done some unannounced college gigs in England.
- 1996: Deep Purple performed “Smoke on the Water” at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland. It was the first time the band had played the song in the Swiss city that inspired the tune.
Checking out the W Z L X ticket stash…
- 1972: Edgar Winter played the Aquarius Theatre.
- 1993: It was Van Halen at Great Woods.