Happy birthday to Frank Beard of ZZ Top. On ZZ’s first and third albums (“First album” and “Tres Hombres”) he is referred to with his nickname. What is that?
ANSWER: On the band’s first and third albums, he is listed as “Rube Beard.”
What else happened on this day in rock n’ roll history? Here’s the Rock N’ Roll Diary for June 11th, from the College of Classic Rock Knowledge – 100.7 WZLX!
- Happy Birthday to Frank Beard of ZZ Top and Donnie Van Zandt of .38 Special.
- On this day in 1966 Janis Joplin performed as a vocalist for Big Brother And The Holding Co. For the first time in 1966 – it was at the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco.
- AC/DC began their first tour as a headline act in Glasgow, Scotland in 1976.
- In ’88 Nelson Mandela’s 70th birthday was celebrated with a concert in London at Wembley Stadium – Dire Straits topped the bill with Eric Clapton as special guest guitarist. At the time, Mandela was still being held in a South African prison.
- In 2002 in a day he’d probable like to forget, Paul McCartney married heather mills in a lavish ceremony at the Castle Leslie in Ireland. The list of 300 invited guests included Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, David Gilmour, former President Clinton and 60’s supermodel Twiggy.
- And in 2004 Van Halen launched its comeback tour with a show in Greensboro, Nc. The extensive trek was the band’s first in five years and featured Sammy Hagar on lead vocals.
- Checking out the WZLX ticket stash in 1971 the Velvet Underground played Stonehenge in Ipswich and the Rolling Stones were at the garden in 1975.