Watch The Beatles Visit London Before Leaving for America in 1964
By Matt Dolloff
On February 5, 1964, The Beatles made a brief stop in London before heading to America for the first time ever and officially launching Beatlemania.
Their arrival came after a long concert residency in Paris, which George Harrison said brought an unusual crowd compared to what they’d seen at previous shows.
“The audiences were a bit funny, you see. There were more boys than girls, and we missed the good old screams,” George said at their press conference that day. “But you know, there were quite a lot of shouts.”
The conference signaled a return to the loud, frenzied fans the Fab Four had grown accustomed to as their fame grew. Larger-than-normal police and security forces had to be deployed to hold back the crowds as they struggled to get a mere glimpse of their idols.
Some fans even resorted to trying to sneak into the customs area at the airport by crawling through the baggage claim. Imagine trying to do this at an airport nowadays:
The press conference contained the usual sharp wit the guys had already begun showing in their public appearances. Here’s an epic exchange from the conference, which you can see in the video clip below (via Beatles Bible):
Q: I must tell you, by the way, that Detroit University have got a ‘Stamp Out The Beatles’ movement.
George: I know, yeah.
John: Yeah, we heard something about that.
Paul: We’ve got a ‘Stamp Out Detroit!’
Q: They think your haircuts are un-American.
John: Well, it was very observant of them because we aren’t American, actually.
Good point John!
- RIP: 5 Must-See Rockstar Memorials in the U.S.
- Why Do Beatles Fans Care So Much About Mono?
- George Harrison Memorial Tree Destroyed By Beetles
- Radio.com Minimation: Paul McCartney Sings ‘Scrambled Eggs’
- New Beatles Documentary Will Follow Their Live Career
- Ron Howard to Direct New Documentary on Beatles’ Touring Years
- Your Perfect Astrological Song, Sung by an Artist With Your Astrological Sign
- Emmys 2014: ‘The Voice,’ ‘The Beatles: The Night That Changed America’ Score Nominations
- Macca is Back and Ready to Tour!
- 11 Amazing Ben & Jerry’s Flavors That Don’t Exist (But Should)