Eddie Vedder must just really like Van Halen.
For the second time in as many concerts at Hartford’s XL Center, Pearl Jam launched into a Van Halen medley. The first time, in 2010, they played “Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love”.
This time, Mike McCready tore through “Eruption” first. The most interesting aspect of McCready’s version is the wild difference in tone between him and Eddie Van Halen. EVH clearly cranks up the distortion and effects way more, but the song is a shred-fest either way.
The performance apparently came together on a whim, if you believe what Eddie Vedder says to the crowd in the video before they start. He liked when they did it before, so he decided as soon as he arrived that he wanted to do it again.
Pearl Jam headlines the Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, closing out the festival’s main stage Friday night. There should be some special performances during that show as well.
MORE ON PEARL JAM:
- AXS TV Set To Premiere ‘Rock Legends’ Featuring Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, U2, & More
- Neil Young, Rush, Jackson Browne to Present at Rock Hall
- Rare Alice In Chains, Soundgarden Songs Featured on ‘Singles’ Reissue
- Eddie Vedder to Perform at Obama’s Farewell Address
- Pearl Jam Donate Money to Family Who Saved Eddie Vedder’s Life