Eddie Vedder must just really like Van Halen.
For the second time in as many concerts at Hartford’s XL Center, Pearl Jam launched into a Van Halen medley. The first time, in 2010, they played “Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love”.
This time, Mike McCready tore through “Eruption” first. The most interesting aspect of McCready’s version is the wild difference in tone between him and Eddie Van Halen. EVH clearly cranks up the distortion and effects way more, but the song is a shred-fest either way.
The performance apparently came together on a whim, if you believe what Eddie Vedder says to the crowd in the video before they start. He liked when they did it before, so he decided as soon as he arrived that he wanted to do it again.
Pearl Jam headlines the Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, closing out the festival’s main stage Friday night. There should be some special performances during that show as well.
MORE ON PEARL JAM:
- Listen to Pearl Jam cover Pink Floyd’s ‘Comfortably Numb’
- John Lennon’s Lost Guitar, Ringo’s Drumhead From ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’ Debut, and Kurt Cobain’s Sweater From ‘MTV’s Unplugged’ Up For Auction
- Cubs Fan Eddie Vedder Says Pearl Jam to Stop Touring (During MLB Postseasons)
- Eddie Vedder and Beyonce Cover Bob Marley’s “Redemption Song”
- Pearl Jam Stops By The Late Show With Stephen Colbert, Rocks The Free World