Eddie Vedder must just really like Van Halen.
For the second time in as many concerts at Hartford’s XL Center, Pearl Jam launched into a Van Halen medley. The first time, in 2010, they played “Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love”.
This time, Mike McCready tore through “Eruption” first. The most interesting aspect of McCready’s version is the wild difference in tone between him and Eddie Van Halen. EVH clearly cranks up the distortion and effects way more, but the song is a shred-fest either way.
The performance apparently came together on a whim, if you believe what Eddie Vedder says to the crowd in the video before they start. He liked when they did it before, so he decided as soon as he arrived that he wanted to do it again.
Pearl Jam headlines the Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, closing out the festival’s main stage Friday night. There should be some special performances during that show as well.
MORE ON PEARL JAM:
- Pearl Jam, Kings of Leon, Red Hot Chili Peppers Form Temporary Supergroup
- Pearl Jam Cover ‘Purple Rain’ in Honor of Prince
- Pearl Jam Cancel North Carolina Concert
- Watch Pearl Jam’s Full Legendary Orpheum Theatre Show From April 12, 1994
- Pearl Jam’s Jeff Ament: “Everybody’s Ready To Do Something Different”