Eddie Vedder must just really like Van Halen.
For the second time in as many concerts at Hartford’s XL Center, Pearl Jam launched into a Van Halen medley. The first time, in 2010, they played “Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love”.
This time, Mike McCready tore through “Eruption” first. The most interesting aspect of McCready’s version is the wild difference in tone between him and Eddie Van Halen. EVH clearly cranks up the distortion and effects way more, but the song is a shred-fest either way.
The performance apparently came together on a whim, if you believe what Eddie Vedder says to the crowd in the video before they start. He liked when they did it before, so he decided as soon as he arrived that he wanted to do it again.
Pearl Jam headlines the Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, closing out the festival’s main stage Friday night. There should be some special performances during that show as well.
MORE ON PEARL JAM:
- David Ortiz Loves Pearl Jam, Has Been Known To Sing “Even Flow” After A Few Drinks
- Temple of the Dog Perform Their First Concert, 25 Years Later
- Watch Eddie Vedder’s 1992 Guided Tour of Wrigley Field
- Watch Eddie Vedder Sing ‘Take Me Out To The Ballgame’ at World Series
- Pearl Jam’s Former Drummer Dave Abbruzzese Says He Doesn’t Feel Snubbed