Check Out The Original Draft of “Hey Jude” Lyrics [PHOTOS]
In honor of the 45th anniversary of “Hey Jude”, here’s a couple of photos of the an original draft of the lyrics for the Beatles classic. Paul McCartney scrawled the lyrics in a notebook with a red pen.
The song was originally titled “Hey Jules”, named after John Lennon’s son Julian. That could possibly explain Julian’s great interest in the original drafted lyrics – he bought them on September 29, 1996 for approximately $40,300 in British pounds.
Christie’s tried to auction off the documents in the photos above in 2002, but Paul McCartney eventually won the case to prohibit them from being sold off. They remain unsold to this day.
MORE ON THE BEATLES:
- Every Radio Station Ever Probably Owes The FCC Money Thanks To The Beatles
- Listen to George Harrison’s Lost Solo in “Here Comes the Sun”
- Celebrate George Harrison’s Birthday With The Live Abbey Road EarthCam!
- You Can Buy Kurt Cobain’s Credit Card
- Chachi Loprete Isn’t Impressed with Lou Reed’s Comments on The Beatles
- Lou Reed in Unearthed 1987 Interview: ‘The Beatles Were Garbage’
- 5 Things You Didn’t Know About The Beatles’ Show at Carnegie Hall
- Carter Alan’s Rock N’ Roll Diary: February 7 in Classic Rock History
- Ringo Starr Announces New Album ‘Postcards from Paradise’
- John Lennon’s Final Interview with ‘Rolling Stone’