Photo Flashback: Beatles Ordered Off Stage in Cleveland in 1964
The Cleveland Public Hall just couldn’t stand the heat of Beatlemania.
Above is a photo of Carl Bear (great name by the way) of the Cleveland police ordering the Beatles to leave the stage because the thousands of screaming fans were being unruly and needed time to calm down before they could resume wailing at the top of their lungs once the Fab Four returned.
Fans reportedly jumped over police barricades, stormed the stage, and generally acted unruly as they basically lost their minds during the show. It is a microcosm of just how deeply the Beatles affected young fans’ minds when they invaded America that year.
According to the book The Beatles in Cleveland, the Beatles (and all rock shows, for that matter) were banned from any shows in Cleveland following the 1964 debacle, but it only took two years for John, Paul, George and Ringo to return in August 1966.
- Watch This Pancake Artist Make Uncanny Pancakes of The Beatles and Other Rock Legends
- Every Radio Station Ever Probably Owes The FCC Money Thanks To The Beatles
- Listen to George Harrison’s Lost Solo in “Here Comes the Sun”
- Celebrate George Harrison’s Birthday With The Live Abbey Road EarthCam!
- You Can Buy Kurt Cobain’s Credit Card