Photo Flashback: Beatles Ordered Off Stage in Cleveland in 1964
The Cleveland Public Hall just couldn’t stand the heat of Beatlemania.
Above is a photo of Carl Bear (great name by the way) of the Cleveland police ordering the Beatles to leave the stage because the thousands of screaming fans were being unruly and needed time to calm down before they could resume wailing at the top of their lungs once the Fab Four returned.
Fans reportedly jumped over police barricades, stormed the stage, and generally acted unruly as they basically lost their minds during the show. It is a microcosm of just how deeply the Beatles affected young fans’ minds when they invaded America that year.
According to the book The Beatles in Cleveland, the Beatles (and all rock shows, for that matter) were banned from any shows in Cleveland following the 1964 debacle, but it only took two years for John, Paul, George and Ringo to return in August 1966.
- Joe Cocker is “Not Very Well Right Now” According to Billy Joel
- Dhani Harrison Pays Tribute to Father George with “Let It Down”
- Listen to an Alternate Version of George Harrison’s ‘The Inner Light’
- Roundtable: Remembering the Beatles in Boston, 50 Years Later
- Chachi Recalls the Beatles at the Boston Garden, 50 Years Later