Aerosmith played Sullivan Stadium on this day in 1986. What metal guitarist opened the show?
Answer: Yngwie Malmsteen
Here’s the rest of the Rock N’ Roll Diary for today:
- Happy Birthday to Van Morrison.
- 1969: This day marked the beginning of the 2nd annual Isle of Wight Festival in England which included the performances of Bob Dylan, The Band, The Moody Blues, and The Who.
- 1976: A judge ruled that George Harrison was guilty of subconsciously plagiarizing the melody from The Chiffons’ “He’s So Fine” when composing his own single “My Sweet Lord.”
- 1986: Aerosmith played Sullivan Stadium on this day in 1986 on their “Back in the Saddle Tour”.
- 1989: The Rolling Stones opened their 1st concert tour in 8 years before 50,000 fans in Philadelphia.
- 1990: At the memorial service for Stevie Ray Vaughan, who had died in a helicopter crash four days earlier, Jackson Browne, Stevie Wonder and Bonnie Raitt sang “Amazing Grace.”
- In the WZLX ticket stash: Yes played the Boston Garden for a second night in 1978, in 1986 Aerosmith was at Sullivan Stadium in Foxboro and the Black Crowes rocked the Orpheum in ‘92.