On this day in 1973 The Doors called it quits after two unsuccessful albums without their late singer Jim Morrison. What were those two albums they recorded as a three-piece?
Answer: Other Voices and Full Circle
Here’s the rest of the Rock N’ Roll Diary for today:
- 1969: Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Canned Heat, Santana and others played the three-day International Pop Festival at the Dallas Speedway in Texas with an audience of 120,000.
- 1972: John and Yoko staged a very successful benefit concert. “One On One” was an all-star night of music at Madison Square Garden. It was John Lennon’s first solo concert appearance and it raised a quarter million dollars.
- 1973: The Doors called it quits after two unsuccessful albums without their late singer Jim Morrison.
- 1981: The Stones released the album “Tattoo You.”
- 1988: Julianne Phillips filed for divorce from her rock star husband Bruce Springsteen.
- 1993: Adam Clayton of U2 and Naomi Campbell postponed their wedding for a year citing work commitments. The two never married.
- 1999: The restored version of the Beatles animated film “Yellow Submarine” had its world premiere in Liverpool.
- Checking the WZLX ticket stash: Yes played the Garden in 1978.