Rock N’ Roll Diary: August 1
Carter Alan / WZLX.com August 1, 2013 12:01 AM
Listen weekdays from 10am-2pm on 100.7 WZLX.Read More
It’s Jerry Garcia’s birthday. How old was the Grateful Dead guitarist when he passed in 1995?
Answer: 53 years and 8 days
Here’s the rest of the Rock N’ Roll Diary for today:
- 1961: The Beatles played the Cavern Club in Liverpool as a headline act for the first time. They eventually appeared a total of 274 times.
- 1971: In other Beatle news, George Harrison held his benefit concerts for Bangla-Desh at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Guests included Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Bob Dylan & Billy Preston.
- 1974: Pete Townshend and Keith Moon joined Eric Clapton at the Omni in Atlanta. After doing “Layla”, Townshend broke a plastic ukulele over Clapton’s head.
- 1981: MTV made its debut on American television screens.
- 1986: It was a good birthday for Jerry Garcia: he was released from the hospital following a 3 week stay. He’d entered the hospital in a diabetic coma.
- 1994: The Rolling Stones opened their Voodoo Lounge tour in Washington D.C. The band turned down an invitation to play at the White House for President Clinton.
Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1971: Mountain played the Hyannis Sheraton.
- 1993: The Allman Brothers Band played at Great Woods.