It’s the birthday of the late Richard Wright of Pink Floyd. The keyboardist also sang some lead vocals. Which two songs did sing on “Dark Side of the Moon?”
Answer: “Time” and “Us & Them”
Here’s the rest of the Rock N’ Roll Diary for today:
- 1970: Mick Jagger made his acting debut in Melbourne, Australia, with a lead role in the film Ned Kelly.
- 1972: Mott the Hoople released “All the Young Dudes.” The song was written by David Bowie who gave it to the band to encourage them not to break up. Bowie’s idea worked: the song was a hit.
- 1973: Grand Funk released We’re an American Band, the same day a rock festival at Watkins Glen attracted 600,000 rock fans to upstate New York for music with the Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers, and the Band.
- 1978: National Lampoon’s Animal House hit the theaters.
- 1979: 65,000 people attended the World Series of Rock at Cleveland Stadium with Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Journey & Thin Lizzy headlining.
- 1987: The Beatles sued Nike and Capitol Records in an attempt to stop their song “Revolution” from being used in a commercial. The effort failed.
- 1993: Rod Stewart’s CD Unplugged and Seated was certified platinum.
- 2007: Eric Clapton hosted his second Crossroads Guitar Festival in Chicago. Jeff Beck, Steve Winwood, Jimmie Vaughn, and Derek Trucks were among the participants.
In the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1975: Dave Mason and Poco played the Cape Cod Coliseum.
- 1992: Emerson Lake & Palmer performed at Great Woods with Jason Bonham warming up.
- 1994: Jimmy Buffet was also at Great Woods.