Rock N’ Roll Diary: July 24
In 1978 the film “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” premiered and then flopped. Aerosmith played a role in that movie as what fictional group?
Answer: The Future Villain Band
Here’s the rest of the Rock N’ Roll Diary for today:
- 1964: A riot broke out at a Rolling Stones concert in Blackpool, England, where there were over 30 people hurt. Four were charged with assault and carrying offensive weapons.
- 1967: The London Times carried a petition signed by all four Beatles and their manager Brian Epstein which called for marijuana legalization.
- 1977: Led Zeppelin performed at the Coliseum in Oakland, California, the second of two nights and their last U.S. show, since the tour was cancelled two days later due to the death of Robert Plant’s son Karac.
- 1978: “Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band”, the film, was released. It featured the Bee Gees, Peter Frampton and Aerosmith among others, but despite the star talent the film flopped at the box office.
- 1986: Bob Geldof was knighted by Queen Elizabeth for his work organizing the Live-Aid concert to feed starving people in Africa.
Checking the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1976: It was the Marshall Tucker Band at the Cape Cod Coliseum.
- 1980: Jackson Brown played the Garden.
- 1981: Van Halen was at the Boston Garden.
- 1989: The Doobie Bros. and Fabulous Thunderbirds played Great Woods.