Rock N’ Roll Diary: July 11
Jimi Hendrix did his first gig with his new band the band of Gypsies on this night in 1969 at the Apollo Theater. Buddy Miles played drums and Billy Cox was on bass. Eventually, Miles would leave and be replaced by what drummer?
Answer: Mitch Mitchell
Here’s the rest of the Rock N’ Roll Diary for today:
- 1969: Blind Faith was slated to play at the Festival Fairgrounds in Newport, Rhode Island, but the show was cancelled.
- 1979: Neil Young’s concert movie “Rust Never Sleeps” premiered at the Bruin Theater in Westwood, California. The album of the same name was also released.
- 2006: The Stones resumed the European leg of their “A Bigger Bang Tour” with a show in Milan. The tour had been delayed six weeks after Keith Richards’ much-publicized fall from a tree in Fiji.
- 2006: Stephen Stills was injured during a Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young concert in Toronto when he cut his hand on a stage lamp. A few stitches solved the problem and the tour continued as planned.
In the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1975: Dave Mason played the Garden.
- 1976: KISS was at the Cape Cod Coliseum.
- 2002: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers played the Tweeter Center.