Happy birthday to Ringo! What was the first song he wrote in total (not a partial credit) for the Beatles?
Answer: Don’t Pass Me By
Here’s the rest of the Rock N’ Roll Diary for today:
Happy birthday to Richard Starkey! We know him better as Beatles drummer and solo man Ringo Starr.
It’s also Kinks/Argent bassist Jim Rodfords birthday as well as Iron Buterfly guitarist Larry Reinhardt!
- 1963: The Rolling Stones made their television debut on “Thank Your Lucky Stars”. They played “Come On”.
- 1968: The Yardbirds split up. Jimmy Page went on to form Led Zeppelin.
- 1969: London’s Chelsea Town Hall marked the site of the first appearance of John Lennon and Yoko Ono with the Plastic Ono Band, out to promote “Give Peace a Chance” recorded in May of that year during their “bed-in’ in room 1742 at the hotel La Reine Elizabeth in Montreal, Canada.
- 1980: It was John Bonham’s last show with Led Zeppelin at the end of a very successful European tour at Eissporthall in West Berlin. The band closed with “Whole Lotta Love” which had begun their anthem. Their U.S. tour was to have begun in October later that year but Bonham died in September.
- 1984: Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the U.S.A” hit the top of the album charts.
- 2006: Pink Floyd’s Syd Barrett died of complications of diabetes. He was 60.
In the WZLX ticket stash…
1970: The Who played Tanglewood in Lenox with Jethro Tull.