Rock N’ Roll Diary: July 4
Elton John played Schaeffer Stadium in Foxboro on this day in 1976 for a true Bicentennial show! He had just released one of his live albums in April. Which one?
Answer: Here and There”
Here’s the rest of the Rock N’ Roll Diary for today:
- 1969: The Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island hosted its first rock bands, including Jethro Tull, Ten Years After and Jeff Beck.
- 1971: The Fillmore West closed. On the bill: Santana, Van Morrison and Credence Clearwater Revival, among others.
- 1978: Aerosmith played the Texas World Festival and the show was filmed for a video which was eventually released in 1989.
- 1987: John Fogerty performed at a Vietnam Vets Benefit in Washington D.C. and played many CCR hits which he hadn’t sung in years.
In the WZLX ticket stash…
- 1987: The Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan began a tour together at Foxboro Stadium.
- 1976: It’s Elton John at Schaeffer Stadium in Foxboro.