Rock N’ Roll Diary: June 27
Carter Alan / WZLX.com June 27, 2013 12:01 AM
Listen weekdays from 10am-2pm on 100.7 WZLX.Read More
On this day in 2002, the bassist of The Who, John Entwistle, was found dead in his hotel room in Las Vegas, victim of a heart attack. What were three of his nicknames?
Answer: The Ox, The Quiet One and Thunderfingers
- 1964: The Rolling Stones self-titled 1st album entered the English charts 2 months after it was released.
- 1971: The Fillmore East closed with a concert featuring the Allman Brothers Band, J. Geils Band, Edgar Winter’s White Trash, Rick Derringer, Beach Boys, Albert King and Country Joe McDonald.
- 1980: John Bonham of Led Zeppelin collapsed behind his drum kit at a concert in Nuremburg, Germany. Doctors diagnosed it as exhaustion.
- 1996: The Lead Singer of Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, quit as frontman of the band due to creative differences. On that day, original singer David Lee Roth began working with Van Halen to complete two tracks for a greatest hits album. Those tracks would be finished and released, but Roth was soon bounced in favor of a 3rd lead singer, Gary Cherone.
- 2002: On the eve of an American tour, John Entwistle of The Who was found dead in his Las Vegas hotel room. The 57-year-old was a victim of too much hard partying.
In the WZLX ticket stash…