It’s Berry Oakley’s birthday today. In 1972, the Allman Brothers bassist perished in a motorcycle crash close to Duane Allman’s fatal accident the previous year. How many blocks from each other were the two crashes?
Answer: Only 3
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1964: Songs by The Beatles held all top five positions on the U.S. singles charts, a feat never duplicated or even approached by another artist.
- 1968: Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis. Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King, and Buddy Guy jammed all night at a small NYC club in tribute to his life.
- 1974: Van Halen got its first big break when the band became a regular act at the Gazzari’s Nightclub in West Hollywood, California.
- Also in 1974: The Rolling Stones film Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones opened in theaters. It was the first film to have a “quadraphonic” soundtrack.
- 1996: Bob Weir & Jerry Garcia’s widow traveled to India to scatter some of the late guitarist’s ashes in the Ganges River. The rest of the ashes were dropped off the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco.
- 1998: Eric Clapton released his “Pilgrim” album – a soul and hip-hop influenced collection of music.
- 2003: The Rolling Stones played their first-ever concert in India, taking the stage for a show in Bangalore.
- Checking the WZLX Ticket Stash … Procol Harum played the Orpheum in 1973 and in 1977 Boston rocked the hometown crowd at the Garden.