The Rock & Roll Rumble is a time-honored tradition, an institution, and the World Series of Boston Rock. While it is technically a “battle of the bands” – and the longest running one in the country – it has grown into far more of a nine night Boston music festival than a competition. Bands do compete. Make no mistake. They step up and step out and can really change their course in town and how they perform as a band. Fact.
The Rumble is produced by Anngelle Wood, host of Boston Emissions on WZLX, formerly on WBCN where The Rumble began all those years ago. Anngelle has been host and organizer since 2008.
Dating back to the first official event in 1979 at the famed Rathskeller in Kenmore Square, The Rock & Roll Rumble is a sure sign of spring. And there’s no town more stoked to get out of the house for high fives and good vibes than this one. The Rumble is best known for bringing together bands who would likely never otherwise play together, for overlapping scenes, and featuring a wide range of styles to represent the New England music community. This year is no different.
Bands are invited and those who agree to participate are paid for their performance(s). Finalists get cash and prizes. Bands may only appear once.
Notables who have participated include ‘Til Tuesday, Morphine, Face to Face The Del Fuegos, Powerman 5000, Bleu, Letters To Cleo, Dresden Dolls, Amazing Royal Crowns, La Peste, The Neighborhoods, Waltham, Darkbuster, Mission of Burma, Rods and Cones, The Sheila Divine, 6L6, Scissorfight, Sam Black Church, The Shods, Gang Green, The Bags, Stompbox, Think Tree, Heretix, Tribe, O Positive, Lemonheads, Slapshot, Swinging Steaks, Blake Babies, Big Dipper, Cavedogs, Talking to Animals… [more]
How Does It Work?
Bands are selected. No band pays to play in the Rock & Roll Rumble. This is the most basic criteria. Other considerations apply.
- Band/Artist must be from Boston or New England
- must receive airplay on Boston Emissions with Anngelle Wood on WZLX
***Band members (actual members of your band), should reach out to the show, send music and band info. The very public Boston Emissions music submissions page is here.
- should be working to establish yourself in the local music community. Being local is far more than just the location you list.
- currently playing local venues in and around the Boston area. Check the out the local listings and venue sites
- must release new music within the year in single/EP/LP/digital form.
- must have online presence via social media to include Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Wordpress, Bandcamp, Soundcloud.
- must have streaming music available
Read more about The Rumble at http://rockandrollrumble.tumblr.com