It’s George Harrison’s birthday today! The former Beatle passed away in what year?
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday: The late Nicky Hopkins, famous session piano player for Jeff Beck, The Rolling Stones and many more.
- 1976: The Eagles received the first platinum distinction for sales of a million copies of their Greatest Hits album. Previously, the only award for record sales was the gold album, awarded when a release sold 500,000 copies.
- 1979: The Police released the single “Roxanne” in America. It had already become a hit in England.
- 1981: John Lennon & Yoko Ono’s “Double Fantasy” album received a Grammy for Album of the Year. It was Lennon’s final completed work before he was assassinated the previous December.
- 1990: A concert tribute to Roy Orbison reunited the original Byrds at L.A.’s Universal Amphitheater.
- 1993: Eric Clapton was the big winner at the Grammys, taking home six awards including Album of the Year honors for his Unplugged album.
- 2008: A statue of late AC/DC frontman Bon Scott was erected in his hometown of Fremantle, Western Australia.
- From the WZLX ticket stash…Joan Jett played Northeastern University’s Cabot Hall in 1989!