Rock N’ Roll Diary: February 23
Carter Alan / WZLX.com February 23, 2013 12:01 AM
Listen weekdays from 10am-2pm on 100.7 WZLX.Read More
Happy birthday to Brad Whitford of Aerosmith! What was the biggest song he penned for the band?
Answer: Last Child
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday: Brad Whitford of Aerosmith!
- 1969: Jimi Hendrix and his backing group featuring Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding played their last concert as the Jimi Hendrix Experience at London’s Royal Albert Hall. Hendrix went on to form the Band of Gypsies with Buddy Miles.
- 1973: National Lampoon’s rock musical Lemmings opened at the Village Gate in New York City. The cast of the show included future Saturday Night Live actors John Belushi and Chevy Chase.
- 1986: The Rolling Stones unexpectedly played a dozen songs for an invitation-only audience at London’s 100 Club which had gathered to pay tribute to the late keyboardist Ian Stewart. It was the first time the Stones had played live in almost five years. Also on the bill that night: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend and Jack Bruce.
- 2000: Carlos Santana received a record-tying 8 Grammy awards at the Staples Center in L.A. Michael Jackson set the record back in 1984 when he won 8 for “Thriller.”
- From the ticket stash…Big Brother and the Holding Company played the Psychedelic Supermarket in 1968…Dire Straits made its U.S. Debut in Boston today at the Paradise in 1979…And in 1982 it was the J. Geils Band at the Boston Garden for the second of three nights.