On this day in 1972, Pink Floyd began a 4-night rehearsal at London’s Rainbow Theater in which they previewed selections from the following year’s Dark Side of the Moon album. Where was the first live performance of the album?
Answer: The Dome in Brighton, England
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1969: Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash recorded together in Nashville. Some of the material showed up on Dylan’s Nashville Skyline album in May.
- 1972: During one of three nights of shows at the Rainbow Theater in London, Pink Floyd previewed most of the material that appeared on their groundbreaking 1973 album Dark Side of the Moon.
- 1975: Rock and Roll, a John Lennon collection of the songs of his teenage years, was released.
- 1990: Aerosmith appeared in a “Wayne’s World” skit on Saturday Night Live with Dana Carvey and Mike Myers. Their version of the skit’s theme song became the B-side of their single The Other Side.
- Checking the WZLX Ticket Stash…Jimmy Buffett played Paul’s Mall in 1976…In 1978 Dave Mason appeared at the Music Hall and Bob Welch opened the show…Genesis was at the Centrum in ’87 and Bob Seger played there on this date in 1996!