Gregg Allman released his “I’m No Angel” album on this day in 1987. It was a huge comeback for the singer. When was his previous solo album released?
Answer: Playing Up a Storm
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1970: The song “Whole Lotta Love” by Led Zeppelin peaked at #4 on the charts.
- 1979: The Clash began its first U.S. tour.
- 1982: The Doobie Brothers split up, promising to reform for a farewell tour.
- 1988: Bruce Springsteen showed up to play a benefit in 1998 for a Long Branch, New Jersey policeman killed in the line of duty. The 3 1/2 hour jam was held in a small shore theater and featured Bruce, Southside Johnny, Little Steven and most of the E-Street Band.
- 2004: Steven Tyler, Joe Perry and Sammy Hagar were among the rockers who participated in “Toby Keith’s Shock N’ Y’all Superbowl party,” which was featured on the CMT network!
- Checking the WZLX ticket stash: Edgar Winter played the Orpheum in 1973 with the James Montgomery Band. In 1996 John Entwistle of The Who rocked Mama Kin on Lansdowne street.