Happy birthday to Mick Taylor, once a guitarist for the Rolling Stones, who made his name in what band before he joined “The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World”?
Answer: John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1970: The Doors rolled the tape machines at New York’s felt forum to record tracks for the “Absolutely Live” album.
- 1974: Bob Dylan released his album Planet Waves. Carter Alan discusses it in “Carter’s Catalog.”
- 1975: One year later, Dylan released Blood on the Tracks, widely considered one of his best works.
- 1984: Yes’s album “90125” went gold and platinum on this day
- 1990: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted The Kinks & The Who – Ray Davies of The Kinks commented, “Rock and roll has become respectable – what a bummer!”.
- 1996: Six induction ceremonies later, David Bowie, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd and The Velvet Underground were welcomed into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- 2003: Eric Clapton and wife Melia welcomed their new baby daughter – Ella May Clapton (sounds suspiciously like Ellie Mae Clampett doesn’t it?).
- Checking the WZLX ticket stash: The Boston Tea Party opened its doors at 53 Berkeley street on this day in 1967. And Joe Walsh played The Orpheum in 1975.