It’s the birthday of Syd Barrett, original singer and guitarist of Pink Floyd. What band was he in just prior to forming Floyd in 1965?
Answer: Leonard’s Lodgers
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1964: The Rolling Stones began their first headlining tour of England.
- 1990: The Rolling Stones’ “Steel Wheels” tour had grossed over $100 million, at the time a new record.
- 1993: More Stones news. Bassist Bill Wyman announced on the BBC that he would be leaving the band after 32 years!
- 1996: The Beatles’ “Free As a Bird” single, which had been finished by the three surviving Beatles from a 1977 John Lennon demo, reached #6 on the American charts. It was the first new Beatles song in 25 years
- 2002: Officials in Champagne, Illinois announced that the city was renaming part of main street as “REO Speedwagon Way” after the group, which formed in that city.