The Grateful Dead played the Boston Tea Party on this night in 1969. The group released two albums that year. Which ones?
Answer: “Aoxomoxoa” and “Live Dead”
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Celebrating birthdays: Ray Thomas of The Moody Blues and British pop singer and Mick Jagger’s one time girlfriend Marianne Faithful.
- 1963: John Lennon and Paul McCartney are called the greatest composers since Beethoven in an article in the London Sunday Times.
- 1967: Dave Mason quits Traffic shortly after the group’s debut album “Mr. Fantasy” enters the charts. It is the first of three times that Mason would depart from the band.
- 1975: Grace Slick and Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane call it quits after seven years and one daughter.
- 1980: Songwriter Tim Hardin, author of “Reason to Believe” and other songs, dies of a suspected heroin overdose at his apartment in Los Angeles.
From the WZLX ticket stash…The Grateful Dead was at the Boston Tea Party in 1969 … in ’77 the Marshall Tucker Band, Pure Prairie League, and Jonathan Edwards played the Providence Civic Center … That same night the Talking Heads played the Paradise Theater… and in 1999, J. Geils Band played a special reunion gig at the Orpheum to say goodbye to 1999!