Rock N’ Roll Diary: December 27
Happy birthday to Mick Jones, guitarist and founder of Foreigner. In his first successful English band, he had to wear a costume onstage. What did he have to dress up as?
Answer: Roman Gladiator
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday to: Mick Jones, guitarist and founder of Foreigner.
- 1969: Led Zeppelin II hits #1 in the states – only two months after its release. The #2 album on the chart is The Beatles’ Abbey Road followed by the Stones’ “Let it Bleed” at #3.
- 1972: Mick and Bianca Jagger distribute medical supplies and other relief materials to people in Nicaragua after a devastating earthquake in the region. They also find Bianca’s mother, who had been missing after the quake.
- 1980: John Lennon’s “Just Like Starting Over” hits #1 in the U.S., less than three weeks after his death. Also in 1980, Mick Jagger leaves for Peru to begin filming the movie “Fitzcarraldo.” Because of scheduling conflicts, however, he never finishes the film.
- 1983: Van Halen releases the single “Jump,” which becomes the group’s first #1 hit.
- 2006: Paul McCartney and Heather Mills’ breakup tops Google’s list of the most searched divorces of the year.
From the WZLX ticket stash…Mountain played the Orpheum with Black Oak Arkansas in 1971.