Rock N’ Roll Diary: December 24
It was the night before Christmas in 2003, and Ringo Starr was the celebrity Santa tracker for NORAD. He also released a holiday album called “I Wanna Be Santa Claus” which featured a guest guitar solo from what well-known player?
Answer: Joe Perry
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1906: The first music radio program is broadcast from Brant Rock, Massachusetts.
- 1972: Fans riot at a Manfred Mann concert at the University of Miami when police pull the plug on the band as the 11 pm curfew hits. Students stage an unruly two hour protest.
- 1973: Tom Johnston of the Doobie Brothers is arrested for possession of marijuana by California police. In the spirit of goodwill, the officers release the guitarist into his own custody so he won’t spend Christmas Eve in jail.
- 1974: James Taylor, Carly Simon, Linda Ronstadt, and Joni Mitchell are spotted caroling around Hollywood.
- 1975: Queen’s concert at the Hammersmith Odeon in London is broadcast simultaneously on BBC-TV and Radio 1 in the U.K.
- 2003: Ringo Starr is a celebrity Santa Tracker for NORAD.