Happy birthday Jorma Kaukonen, guitarist for Hot Tuna and the Jefferson Airplane. For his entire career he has had a musical companion that played with him in the Airplane and also works in Hot Tuna. Who is this person?
Answer: Bassist Jack Casady
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday to: Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna.
- 1961: A Decca Records talent scout impressed by The Beatles at the Cavern Club in Liverpool arranges for a formal audition in London, but Decca did not sign the future supergroup.
- 1966: The British television show “Ready, Steady, Go,” which helped to launch dozens of musical careers, airs for the final time with Mick Jagger as guest.
- 1966: Pink Floyd performs for the first time at a London hot spot known as the UFO Club. It becomes a regular venue for the psychedelic band.
- 1972: After a series of lawsuits, Terry Knight, ex-manager for Grand Funk Railroad appears while the band was playing a benefit concert with sheriffs in tow and a court order giving him the right to seize $1 million in cash or assets.
- 1980: John McVie and wife Julie are busted at their resort home in Honolulu and charged with possession of cocaine when a drug sniffing dog alerts police to the contents of a package addressed to the couple.
From the WZLX ticket stash…The Zombies were at The Unicorn on this night in 1969.