It’s the birthday of the late Alvin Lee, guitarist for Ten Years After. Lee, rather famously, broke up Ten Years After at the height of the band’s fame in 1974 after the release of what album?
Answer: “Positive Vibrations”
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday to: Alvin Lee from Ten Years After, who passed away in 2013.
- 1965: The Moody Blues appear on the Ed Sullivan show.
- 1969: Mick Jagger is busted in London for possession of marijuana. He is fined 200 pounds sterling and sent on his way.
- 1981: The Rolling Stones conclude the North American leg of their “Tattoo You” tour in Hampton, Virginia. The show is televised via closed-circuit cable to thousands of viewers across the country. There is also a radio broadcast.
- 1989: The Rolling Stones wrap up their “Steel Wheels” North American tour with a concert in Atlantic City. John Lee Hooker and Eric Clapton are special guests.
From the WZLX ticket stash…The Allman Brothers Band and Molly Hatchet played the Boston Garden in 1981…And in 1994 Aerosmith officially opened their Mama Kin nightclub on Lansdowne Street in Boston with a special performance for less than 300 people. The show was broadcast across America and was the final date of their “Get a Grip” world tour that went on for nearly two years.