Happy birthday to Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. What band of his preceded the Top?
Answer: Moving Sidewalks
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday to: Ted Nugent and Jeff “Skunk” Baxter, guitarist for Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers.
- 1974: Speaking of Steely Dan, the band’s 4th album, “Katy Lied,” is released. Also in ’74, George Harrison becomes the first rock and roll star to be invited to the White House. He has lunch with President Gerald Ford.
- 1976: Paul McCartney’s triple-album set “Wings Over America” goes gold three days after its release.
- 1985: Phil Collins makes his TV acting debut in America when he guests on an episode of “Miami Vice.”
- 1986: Bruce Hornsby hits #1 with the single “The Way It Is.”
- 1988: Bruce Springsteen’s marriage to actress Julianne Phillips ends.
From the WZLX ticket stash… The Allman Brothers Band played Woodrow’s Ballroom in South Deerfield, MA in 1969…In ’77 Kansas rocked the Providence Civic…In 1980 a then-unknown band named U2 opened a show at the Paradise Theater for Barooga Bandit – it was U2’s first visit to Boston and certainly would not be their last…In 1992 Bruce Springsteen played the Boston Garden…And in 1994 it was night No.2 for Boston and a special benefit gig at the House of Blues in Cambridge.