In 1968, the Rolling Stones filmed their “Rock and Roll Circus” TV show. John Lennon and Yoko Ono appeared as “The Dirty Mac.” Who played bass in their backing band?
Answer: Keith Richards
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday to: Dickey Betts of the Allman Brothers Band and Paul Rodgers of Free, Bad Company & the Firm.
- 1964: Kinks singer Ray Davies marries a 17-year-old fan. They have two kids and manage to stay married until 1973.
- 1968: The Rolling Stones film their Rock and Roll Circus TV show with John Lennon, Jethro Tull, Eric Clapton, and others.
- 1969: The Plastic Ono Band, starring the hastily assembled Eric Clapton, Alan White, Klaus Voorman and John & Yoko Lennon, makes its concert debut at the Toronto Peace Festival. The group had never performed live together before hitting the stage.
- 1983: David Bowie plays the final date of his “Serious Moonlight” tour in Bangkok.
- 1985: David Crosby surrenders to federal authorities in West Palm Beach, Florida after spending 17 days as a fugitive on drug and weapons charges and Ian Stewart, the keyboardist, road manager and legendary 6th Stone, dies of a heart attack in London. He was 47.
From the WZLX ticket stash…the Allman Brothers Band played at UMass Amherst in 1969…Foghat was at the Orpheum in 1976…And Boston played the first of two nights at the House of Blues in a benefit for children’s charities.