U2′s Achtung Baby album got to #1 in the U.S. on this day in 1991. It would be part of a consecutive stream of how many #1 albums for the group?
Answer: 5 albums
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1962: Bill Wyman auditions for The Rolling Stones.
- 1963: The Beatles record an appearance on “Juke Box Jury,” a British television show where entertainment personalities gave opinions of new releases.
- 1967: The Beatles’ Apple Boutique opens in London.
- 1968: Eric Burdon announces The Animals would be breaking up and he’d be pursuing an acting career in California.
- 1971: Paul McCartney’s first album with Wings, Wildlife, is released – the album is not a big sales success, but that would come soon for Paul and his new band that you may have heard of.
- 1973: “Band on the Run” is certified gold for sales of a half-million units.
- 1991: U2′s album Achtung Baby hits #1 in the States.
- 2004: The “Imagine” license plate, featuring John Lennon’s self-portrait, receives final approval from Florida governor Jeb Bush at a ceremony in Tallahassee. The special plate, sanctioned by Yoko Ono, raises money for the Florida Association of Food Banks.