The Allman Brothers Band finished up a 3-night stand at the Boston Tea Party on this night in 1969. They had just released their first album which featured the band on the porch of a stately home in what city?
Answer: Macon, Georgia
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday to: Peter Buck, the influential guitarist of R.E.M.
- 1965: The Rolling Stones enter RCA Studios in Los Angeles to record “19th Nervous Breakdown” and “Mother’s Little Helper.”
- 1966: The Beatles record “When I’m 64″ at Abbey Road Studios in London.
- 1969: The Rolling Stones finish their tour of America with the infamous concert at Altamont Speedway near San Francisco. Four people die at the festival, including one who was stabbed by a member of the Hell’s Angels. The tragic event and the tour that preceded it were documented a year later in the movie Gimme Shelter.
- 1970: Derek and the Dominos give their last concert at Suffolk Community College in New York.
- 1988: Roy Orbison dies of a heart attack.
- 1993: The five members of The Eagles reunite to tape a video for Travis Tritt and his version of “Take it Easy.” That gathering leads to a full-blown tour and album reunion.
- 2005: Eddie Van Halen’s wife Valerie Bertinelli files for divorce in Los Angeles superior court.