Rock N’ Roll Diary: December 4
Happy birthday to Gary Rossington, who from the original Lynyrd Skynyrd is still in the band?
Answer: December 10, 2007
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- Happy birthday to: Southside Johnny, and also Gary Rossington – a founding guitarist and current member of Lynyrd Skynyrd.
- 1968: Fleetwood Mac embarks on its first tour of the U.S.
- 1971: CBS-TV airs George Harrison’s “Concert for Bangla Desh” which had been taped that august at Madison Square Garden.
- 1976: Guitarist Tommy Bolin dies from a heroin overdose at age 25. The former guitarist of James Gang had been hired by Deep Purple to replace Ritchie Blackmore and was on a solo tour supporting Jeff Beck.
- 1980: Two months after the death of drummer John Bonham, Led Zeppelin issues a statement saying that can not continue on as a band without the irreplaceable Bonzo.
- 1997: The Recording Industry Association of America updates the sales amounts of 11 Led Zeppelin albums, making Zeppelin second only to The Beatles as the all-time top-selling artist.
…And in 1988 Keith Richards with his Expensive Winos played the first of two nights at the Orpheum.