Happy birthday to Ozzy Osbourne, who nearly died in an ATV accident in his vast English backyard. He ran into an old bomb crater from what war?
Answer: World War II
Here’s the rest of today’s Rock N’ Roll Diary!
- 1965: A Beatles concert in Glasgow, Scotland marks the start of the band’s last English tour … That same night at a concert in Sacramento, Keith Richards is knocked out by electric shock when his guitar hits the microphone stand.
- 1971: A casino in Montreux, Switzerland burns during a Frank Zappa gig prompting the writing of “Smoke on the Water” by Deep Purple who planned to record at the venue the next night.
- 1976: While shooting publicity photos for the Animals tour, Pink Floyd’s famous stage prop, a 40-foot inflatable pig, breaks free from its moorings and soars to 18,000 feet, later landing miles away in a pasture in Kent (appropriately enough).
- 1979: Eleven fans die in the crush of the crowd at a Who concert in River Front Coliseum in Cincinnati.
- 1986: Judas Priest and CBS Records are sued. The suit alleges that two fans shot themselves because they listened to the band’s music for six hours.
From the WZLX ticket stash…The Guess Who played Hynes Auditorium in 1971…In ’73 it was The Who at the Boston Garden with Lynyrd Skynyrd opening…Greg Allman played the Music Hall in 1974…Two years later Black Sabbath was at the same venue…And in 1978 Foreigner played the Boston Garden.